September 29, 2008

Fantasy Hockey Pre-Draft Rankings: Top 10 Goalies

It is time for the final installment in my pre-draft rankings. Today we will be running down the top 10 fantasy netminders heading into the regular season. And away we go!
  1. Martin Brodeur (44-27-6, 2.17 GAA, .920 SV%, 4 SO) Simply put, Brodeur is the best in the business. The Devils looked poised for a fall, but Marty still has to be the first goalie off the board. Having said that, there was no way I was going to draft him this season. I think there is better value further down the list.
  2. Henrik Lundqvist (37-24-10, 2.23 GAA, .912 SV%, 10 SO) King Henrik is the first guy on this list I really wanted to draft (but was unable both times). There is talk of a knee problem that has lingered from last spring, but for my money he is still the best goalie to have heading into this season.
  3. Evgeni Nabokov (46-21-8, 2.14 GAA, .910 SV%, 6 SO) All you need to know about Nabokov is that he is going to play around 70 games for a team that is sound defensively and should be one of the top teams in the West. That's enough to secure the third slot on this list.
  4. Marc-Andre Fleury (19-10-2, 2.33 GAA, .921 SV%, 4 SO) I wanted to put MAF third on this list, but there are still question marks about his consistency and the Penguins are missing arguably their two best defensemen for an extended period of time. The Flower could still prove to be a top two fantasy netminder this year. If he's still there in the third round (he likely won't be though) draft him.
  5. Roberto Luongo (35-29-9, 2.38 GAA, .917 SV%, 6 SO) I think the Canucks are going to struggle this season, but Luongo is too good to put any lower on this list. Put him on a better team and it's Vezina city for Bobby Lou.
  6. J.S. Giguere (35-17-6, 2.12 GAA, .922 SV%, 4 SO) I think the Ducks are going to look a lot more like the team that won the Cup two seasons ago that last season's version. That is good news for a guy who quietly put up career-best numbers last season. He should not last past the fourth round in any draft.
  7. Marty Turco (32-21-6, 2.31 GAA, .909 SV%, 3 SO) The Stars are my team to come out of the West this season and I do think they will win a very competitive Pacific Division. That will equate to great numbers for the oft underrated Turco. Do not hesitate to pick up Turco if you get the chance.
  8. Chris Osgood (27-9-4, 2.09 GAA, .914 SV%, 4 SO) I do not think highly of Osgood and never have, but he is still the clear cut number one goalie for the consensus best team in the NHL. That means, as much as I would like to, I can't drop him any lower on this list. And for the record, I did take Osgood in one of my drafts.
  9. Carey Price (24-12-3, 2.56 GAA, .920 SV%, 3 SO) All the people who get paid to know their stuff think Montreal is going to walk all over the Eastern Conference this season. I do not necessarily agree with them, but they will still be a good team and Price should put up good numbers. You could do a lot worse than Price for your number two goalie, but I do not think I would feel comfortable with him as my number one.
  10. Pascal Leclaire (24-17-6, 2.25 GAA, .919 SV%, 9 SO) Like Luongo, Leclaire's team is not much to write home about, but Pascal is too good to keep off of this list. He will stuggle a bit in the win column (and there are minor health concerns), but all the other numbers will more than make up for it. I drafted Leclaire in my roto league last night and I could not be happier to have him on my team again this season.
Well, that is it for my pre-draft coverage. The next post you read from me will almost assuredly discuss actual games in some capacity. If that is not enough to get you up for fantasy season (and the "real" season too I guess) then you have come to the wrong place.

Chris Yarbrough is the GFH Fantasy Guru for the 2008-09 season. You can read more from Chris on his own blogs, Taking One for the Team and The Flower Shop.


Mario Lemieux Foundation total donation: $205

Ballhype: hype it up!

2 comments:

The Puck Stops Here said...

It makes little sense to rate Martin Brodeur number one and in your comment say there are better goalies out there. Those better goalies would be number one.

Loser Chris said...

I didn't say there are better goalies, I said there are better values. That means I would rather spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on MAF or Lundqvist than a 1st on Brodeur.